HS2 brings massive jobs boost to Crewe
Britain’s new low-carbon, high-speed railway, High Speed Two (HS2) , will boost Crewe’s national transport connections and help transform the town as part of a GBP180 million local regeneration master plan. Construction started last year on the first section of HS2 , from London to the West Midlands. Then on 11 February, Parliament gave permission to build the next 36-mile section from the West Midlands to Crewe .
Last month, the HS2 Minister, Andrew Stephenson MP, visited Crewe railway station to confirm that new research has found that the construction of HS2 is now expected to support 6,500 jobs between the Cheshire town and the West Midlands – 1,500 more than previously forecast.
HS2 Minister, Andrew Stephenson MP meets local stakeholders to learn how Crewe is getting ‘HS2 ready’ (Image: HS2 Ltd)
The new railway already supports over 16,000 jobs – rising to more than 34,000 at peak construction – and more than 100 of the businesses currently working on the project are based in Cheshire and Staffordshire. The HS2 line to Crewe presents opportunities for thousands more businesses, from building the tracks and trains to catering and cabling. Many of these businesses will need new staff to take on this exciting work, including Dutton Traffic Management Services Ltd in Middlewich.
Gary Mainwaring, Operations Director at Dutton Traffic Management Services Ltd, said: “It was great as a local SME to be in a position to be able to access and benefit from the opportunities HS2 is bringing to Crewe. We are looking forward to being part of such a massive project.”
Based in Middlewich, Dutton Traffic Management Services Ltd are one of the many local SMEs already supporting the construction of HS2 (Image: HS2 Ltd)
In an echo of its origin as one of the first railway towns, Crewe is set to become a vital ‘super-hub’, connecting HS2 and the existing railway network. By around the end of the decade, high-speed services are scheduled to run between Crewe and the capital, and onward along the existing West Coast Main Line to places like Liverpool, Preston and Lancaster.
HS2 trains, designed to run up to 225mph, will travel between Crewe and London Euston in under an hour – shortening today’s best journey time by 34 minutes.
HS2 will carry state-of-the-art low-carbon trains up to 400 metres in length, with as many as 1,100 seats on each train (Image: HS2 Ltd)
And not only will services be faster, HS2 will create room for more of them, enabling more local, regional and freight services to stop in Crewe . Therefore, even if you never board a HS2 train, you will still benefit from a more reliable network that can handle more traffic. For example, this extra capacity on the West Coast Main Line could be used to increase the frequency of services between Crewe, Nuneaton, Tamworth, Lichfield and Rugeley from hourly to half-hourly or better.
There would also be more room for services from Crewe and Runcorn into Liverpool, as well as services via Crewe between North Wales, Chester and London. And once HS2 extends to Manchester, the number of seats available on services between Crewe, Stoke-on-Trent and Manchester Piccadilly could more than double during the evening peak. GBP180 million regeneration for Crewe town centre
While visiting Crewe, the HS2 Minister also learned how high-speed rail is helping unlock GBP180 million of local investment and helping the station itself get ‘HS2 ready’. Cllr Craig Browne, Deputy Leader of Cheshire East Council, said: “We are determined to maximise the benefits of high-speed rail coming to Crewe and HS2 will help to transform the town and surrounding area.” The new commercial hub surrounding Crewe station is expected to create 37,000 jobs and 7,000 new homes by 2043.
Cllr Browne pointed out that these were “more important than ever as we recover from the pandemic.”
Cllr Craig Browne, Deputy Leader, Cheshire East Council; Dr Kieran Millan, MP fro Crewe and Nantwich; Andrew Stephenson, HS2 Minister; and Philip Cox, Chief Executive of the Cheshire and Warrington Local Enterprise Partnership at Crewe railway station unveiling a plaque marking the town’s pivotal location on Britain’s new high-speed rail network (Image: HS2 Ltd)
Find out more
HS2 Ltd, the company set up by the Government to design and build HS2, will be visiting Crewe on Monday 13 September to update residents on plans to take the new railway onwards to Manchester – birnging further benefits to the region. The event will be held at the Mornflake Stadium (formerly the Alexandra Stadium) from 2pm through to 8pm. Advance registration is required and details can be found via the Events pages on HS2’s website: www.hs2.org.uk/events .
HS2 is now under construction.
It is estimated that the railway will create 400,000 supply chain opportunities during the first phase of the project alone and businesses in Cheshire are well placed to benefit (Image: HS2 Ltd)
Ten ways that HS2 will benefit Crewe
- More rail capacity for Crewe: HS2 will free up space on the existing railway lines, creating more space for local, regional and freight services
- Spearheading investment in the town: Planning for HS2’s arrival is helping unlock GBP180 million of local investment and regeneration projects
- More jobs: Construction of the Phase 2a route, linking the West Midlands to Crewe, will support 6,500 jobs.
Overall, construction of HS2 is now forecast to support more than 34,000 jobs
- Thousands of contracts for local businesses to bid for: There will be more than 400,000 contract opportunities throughout HS2’s supply chain, including opportunities to deliver goods, works and services to contractors on-site
- Enhancing the environment: The extension to Crewe will involve tree planting at over 40 sites, covering the area of 86 football pitches; more than 18 miles of new hedgerows; and enough new grassland meadows to cover 140 football pitches
- Gateway to the North: Crewe station is set to become a vital ‘super-hub’, connecting HS2 and the existing railway network
- A cleaner, greener way to travel: As a low-carbon electric railway, HS2 will help cut the number of cars and lorries on our roads, cut demand for domestic flights, and help the country’s push to reduce carbon emissions
- Better connecting people and places: Crewe will be one of the first destinations to receive new high-speed rail services, with the full network calling at over 25 stations and connecting around 30 million people
- More choice for work and play: With faster travel to new destinations, the connectivity boost that HS2 provides opens up new opportunities
- An unrivalled passenger experience: Britain’s brand-new bullet-style trains will be designed with today’s passenger needs in mind – and will travel at up to 225mph!
- ^ High Speed Two (HS2) (www.hs2.org.uk)
- ^ first section of HS2 (www.hs2.org.uk)
- ^ the next 36-mile section from the West Midlands to Crewe (www.hs2.org.uk)
- ^ HS2 Minister, Andrew Stephenson MP, visited Crewe railway station (www.cheshire-live.co.uk)
- ^ www.hs2.org.uk/careers (www.hs2.org.uk)
- ^ www.hs2.org.uk/local-business (www.hs2.org.uk)
- ^ HS2 will create room for more of them, enabling more local, regional and freight services to stop in Crewe (youtu.be)
- ^ Crewe (www.cheshire-live.co.uk)
- ^ Runcorn (www.cheshire-live.co.uk)
- ^ www.hs2.org.uk/events (www.hs2.org.uk)
- ^ HS2 Helpdesk (youtu.be)
- ^ [email protected] (www.inyourarea.co.uk)
- ^ more space for local, regional (youtu.be)
- ^ freight services (youtu.be)
- ^ Phase 2a route, linking the West Midlands to Crewe (youtu.be)
- ^ more than 400,000 contract opportunities (www.hs2.org.uk)
- ^ The extension to Crewe will involve tree planting at over 40 sites (mediacentre.hs2.org.uk)
- ^ a low-carbon electric railway (www.hs2.org.uk)
- ^ connectivity boost (www.hs2.org.uk)
- Pumteck&1 Electric Air Pump, Rechargeable Portable Wireless Air Pump with...
SALE PRICE: £15.99YOU SAVE: £3.00 About this item 【Rechargeable and portable】 air pump uses a powerful 4000mAh lithium battery to achieve […]
- Hape Deluxe White Grand Piano | Thirty-Key Piano Toy with Stool, Electronic...
RRP PRICE: £159.99SALE PRICE: £109.99YOU SAVE: £50.00 THIRTY-KEY ELECTRONIC PIANO : Tickle those ivories with a mini Deluxe Grand Piano This is a […]