Despite claims that officers are leaving in droves, data shows police departments saw steady or increased employment during the pandemic
(C) AP Photo/Ringo H.W.
Chiu, File In this Tuesday, Nov.
3, 2020 file photo, police hold their clubs as they form a line in front of supporters of President Donald Trump on Election Day in Beverly Hills, Calif. AP Photo/Ringo H.W. Chiu, File
- State and federal law enforcement increased their number of employees from 2019 to 2020.
- The American Rescue Plan earmarked £350 billion to combat gun violence and hire more law enforcement personnel.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that law enforcement employment will grow by 5% over the next decade.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Police departments across the nation said they have struggled with staffing issues, from officers retiring and resigning to attracting new hires, but federal data paints a different picture, the Marshall Project reported.
US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) data from 2019 to 2020 shows the decrease in the number of people employed by local police departments and sheriff’s offices, 0.9%, was much lower compared to the decrease in overall employment, 6%. By comparison, the number of people employed in education decreased by 8% in the same year. At the state and federal level, law enforcement actually increased their number of employees, according to the Marshall Project.
Recent initiatives provided police departments with additional financing, including the American Rescue Plan, which earmarked £350 billion to combat gun violence and hire more law enforcement personnel, The Wall Street Journal reported. Due to increased financing, low turnover rates, and desire for public safety, the job outlook for law enforcement officers is promising. BLS’ Occupational Outlook Handbook projects that law enforcement employment will grow by 5% over the next decade, which is faster than the average growth rate for all occupations.
In 2019, 5,333 fatal work injuries were recorded in the US, and 1 out of every 5 of those deaths were drivers, sales workers, or truck drivers, according to the Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries Summary.
Meanwhile, fatal occupational injuries among law enforcement workers fell 24 percent between 2018 and 2019, BLS data shows.
- Pumteck&1 Electric Air Pump, Rechargeable Portable Wireless Air Pump with...
SALE PRICE: £15.99YOU SAVE: £3.00 About this item 【Rechargeable and portable】 air pump uses a powerful 4000mAh lithium battery to achieve […]
- Hape Deluxe White Grand Piano | Thirty-Key Piano Toy with Stool, Electronic...
RRP PRICE: £159.99SALE PRICE: £109.99YOU SAVE: £50.00 THIRTY-KEY ELECTRONIC PIANO : Tickle those ivories with a mini Deluxe Grand Piano This is a […]
- LUKAT Musical Toy for 2 3 4 Years Old Boys & Girls, Karaoke Microphone Music...
SALE PRICE: £19.98YOU SAVE: £2.00 【Perfect Gift for Kids】This multifunctional musical toys is made of non-toxic ABS and with polished smooth […]
- Let’s Arezooo 4 PCS Rocket Toy Launcher for Kids – Stomp Foam...
SALE PRICE: £14.99 【Safe & Durable】The whole rocket is made of high-quality EVA foam cotton, which is safe, non-toxic and environmentally […]