Volkswagen’s (VWAGY) TRATON Completes Merger With Navistar
Volkswagen‘s VWAGY trucks arm TRATON has finally completed the merger agreement with Navistar International. Navistar-TRATON merger talks had been heating up since January 2020 until the coronavirus outbreak put the deal into jeopardy. After much negotiation, TRATON acquired the remaining shares of the Illinois-based truck maker at £44.5 per share in cash. The deal — which was approved by shareholders of Navistar on Mar 2, 2021 — is worth £3.7 billion.
Notably, Navistar and TRATON have been collaborating over the past couple of years to make developments in the electric vehicle (EV) technology in order to slash annual costs for both the companies. The merger has strengthened the combined entity’s standing in the truck market, positioning it to cater better for electric and autonomous future of the auto industry. The acquisition would enable Volkswagen to secure a strong foothold in the U.S. heavy-truck market — the largest market for the truck industry — and position it better than European peers including Daimler AG DDAIF and Volvo Group.
Considering Volkswagen’s limited exposure in the North American truck industry, and Navistar’s strong footing in the region along with impressive dealership networks, the deal is set to significantly boost TRATON’s prospects. The deal in fact marks a major milestone in TRATON’s expansion plans. TRATON is now contemplating to expand to Asia, especially in China, in sync with its plans to broaden global reach.
TRATON’s Scania brand is set to establish a facility in Shanghai, with the production of trucks commencing next year. The factory will also house research and development activities. TRATON is already collaborating with Toyota‘s TM truck unit Hino to develop electric and fuel cell vehicles as well as common EV platforms including software and interfaces. Volkswagen currently carries a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold). CNH Industrial CNHI is a better-ranked player in the same industry, sporting a Zacks Rank #1 (Strong Buy) at present.
Zacks’ Top Picks to Cash in on Artificial Intelligence
In 2021, this world-changing technology is projected to generate £327.5 billion in revenue. Now Shark Tank star and billionaire investor Mark Cuban says AI will create “the world’s first trillionaires.” Zacks’ urgent special report reveals 3 AI picks investors need to know about today. See 3 Artificial Intelligence Stocks With Extreme Upside Potential>>
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.
- ^ VWAGY (www.nasdaq.com)
- ^ DDAIF (www.nasdaq.com)
- ^ CNHI (www.nasdaq.com)
- ^ the complete list of today’s Zacks #1 Rank stocks here. (www.zacks.com)
- ^ See 3 Artificial Intelligence Stocks With Extreme Upside Potential>> (www.zacks.com)
- ^ Click to get this free report (www.zacks.com)
- ^ Toyota Motor Corporation (TM): Free Stock Analysis Report (www.zacks.com)
- ^ Daimler AG (DDAIF): Free Stock Analysis Report (www.zacks.com)
- ^ CNH Industrial N.V. (CNHI): Free Stock Analysis Report (www.zacks.com)
- ^ Volkswagen AG (VWAGY): Free Stock Analysis Report (www.zacks.com)
- ^ To read this article on Zacks.com click here. (www.zacks.com)
- LEGO 70424 Hidden Side Ghost Train Express
SALE PRICE: £69.99 This train features ghost wings that fold-out with the flip of a lever, and chamber to remove the ghosts haunting Ms. Santos Play […]
- Barbie FWY29 Helicopter, Pink and Blue, with Spinning Rotor, Multicolored
SALE PRICE: £19.88 The Barbie helicopter inspires imaginations and allows children to take off and explore the world during playtime with fun […]
- Intex Sunshade Aquarium Pool, Multicolored, 157x157x122 cm, 57470, Assorted...
RRP PRICE: £27.99SALE PRICE: £23.99YOU SAVE: £4.00 About this item Comfortable, light and easy to handle Easily washable Water drain plug Check […]
- LEGO 21034 Architecture London Skyline Model Building Set, London Eye, Big Ben,...
OFFER PRICE: £33.92 Build a detailed model of the London skyline Model features the National Gallery, Nelson’s Column, London Eye, Big Ben and […]