EU Proposal To Sunset ICE Vehicles Opposed By France, Germany
The European Union is currently working on a proposal dubbed “Fit for 55,” which is designed to accelerate the region’s transition to zero emissions. While details have yet to be finalized, the EU proposal reportedly aims to slash automotive emissions by 65 percent by 2030 and 100 percent by 2035 – which would make it impossible for automakers to sell ICE-powered vehicles past that point. However, two countries in the EU have come out in opposition to this plan, according to Automotive News -France and Germany.
Meanwhile, an anonymous French official revealed that the country’s government supports a 55 percent reduction in emissions by 2030 but wants hybrid vehicles to remain on sale past 2035 to help ease the transition to EVs. The proposed EU emissions targets effectively double existing goals that call for a 37.5 percent reduction in emissions by 2030. The proposal also calls for renewable energy to increase from 32 percent to 40 percent by 2030 and will require that electric vehicle chargers are installed every 37 miles along major highways.
These changes are all intended to help Europe become the first region to achieve net-zero emissions, which it plans to do by the year 2050. Making such an aggressive amendment could lead to lead to the loss of 100,000 jobs in France, according to the lobby group La Plateforme Automobile, and expanding the country’s existing infrastructure would require an investment of around 17.5 billion euros (£21 billion USD).
Ford of Europe’s current electrification plan puts it on track to meet these more stringent goals, however. Earlier this year, the automaker committed that by mid-2026, 100 percent of its passenger vehicle lineup will be zero-emissions capable, all-electric, or plug-in hybrid, and will convert to all-electric power by 2030, though the automaker also recently admitted that it could reach the latter goal earlier.
One potential roadblock to that plan comes from the efforts of some European officials, who want to phase out plug-in hybrid models by 2025.
- ^ “Fit for 55,” (fordauthority.com)
- ^ for automakers to sell ICE-powered vehicles (fordauthority.com)
- ^ Automotive News (www.autonews.com)
- ^ will convert to all-electric power by 2030 (fordauthority.com)
- ^ it could reach the latter goal earlier (fordauthority.com)
- ^ who want to phase out plug-in hybrid models by 2025 (fordauthority.com)
- ^ subscribe (fordauthority.com)
- ^ Ford news (fordauthority.com)
- Philips AJ3400 Wake-Up Alarm Clock with Radio for Bedside or Kitchen, Big...
RRP PRICE: £24.99SALE PRICE: £17.99YOU SAVE: £7.00 About this item This fits your . by entering your model number. The information on this clock […]
- RFIVER Universal TV Stand Legs TV Feet for 20″ to 65″ Table Top TV Stand...
RRP PRICE: £19.99SALE PRICE: £16.99YOU SAVE: £3.00 This fits your . by entering your model number. 【TV COMPATIBILITY】- Compatible VESA: […]
- Ecomoist Natural Screen Cleaner Kit 500ml Family Business Size for TV LCD LED...
SALE PRICE: £14.95 This fits your . by entering your model number. ❶ MADE IN UK. Smart 500 Ml bottle (Great for offices) with 2 High Quality […]
- BONTEC Universal Table Desk Pedestal TV Stand Tabletop Screen Monitor Riser for...
RRP PRICE: £21.99SALE PRICE: £16.99YOU SAVE: £5.00 About this item This fits your . by entering your model number. TV COMPATIBILITY: Fits most 22 […]